Denise D. Iger
For over twenty years now, Denise has served as general legal counsel to hundreds of homeowners associations throughout Southern California. Whether it is redrafting entire sets of governing documents or simply answering an ordinary operational question, Denise provides practical, easy-to-follow advice and suggestions to the homeowners associations that she counsels.
Denise began her legal training in college at the University of California, San Diego, where she clerked for both the US Attorney’s Office and the San Diego City Attorney’s Office. Wishing to stay in southern California, Denise attended California Western School of Law, where she graduated cum laude, after having worked for the American Arbitration Association and a prestigious construction defense law firm.
Since beginning her representation of homeowners associations in the mid-1990s, Denise has dedicated much of her time to the homeowners association industry. She is currently serving her sixth year as a volunteer director and fourth year as Vice President for the Community Association’s Institute, Orange County Chapter. Denise has served on the Chapter’s Publication Committee for over fifteen years and formerly chaired the Committee for many years. Denise serves on the faculty for CACM and has assisted in drafting course materials, in addition to teaching classes necessary for community manager certification. She also serves on the California Association of Community Manager (CACM) Legal Steering Committee and acted as guest editor of the CACM Law Journal.
She is a prolific writer, having been published more than a hundred times in different trade and bar association publications. Denise also has lectured dozens of times at homeowners association-related national and local conferences and has acted as a guest speaker on talk radio shows.
- CACM 2001 Vision Award for Excellence in Education
- CAI - Orange County Chapter’s 2002 Outstanding Service Award
- CAI - Orange County Chapter’s 2001 President’s Award
- CAI - Orange County Chapter’s 2005 President’s Award
- CAI - Orange County Chapter’s 2007 May Russell Hall of Fame Award
- CAI - Orange County Chapter's 2014 Chapter Appreciation Award
- CAI - Orange County Chapter's 2015 Speaker of the Year Award
Representative Published Works
- “Legislature Further Clarifies Escrow Disclosures,” CAI’s OC View (2014)
- “Changes to IDR Procedures,” CAI- LA’s Focus Magazine (2014)
- “Rental Restrictions and Prohibitions,” CACM Law Journal (2014)
- “Demystifying the Condo Plan,” CAI’s OC View (2012)
- “Increasing Homeowners Association Dues,” Orange County Bar Association’s OC Lawyer (2012)
- “Preparing for Your Deposition,” CAI’s OC View (2012)
- “The Value of a Maintenance Matrix,” CAI’s OC View (2010)
- “Revisiting Your BBQ Rules,” CAI’s OC View (2010)
- “Dog Breed Bans,” CAI’s OC View (2008)
- "The Truth About Three-Year Proxies,” CAI’s OC View (2007)
- “Deciphering the Code: How to Read and Understand Recorded Documents,” CAI California Statewide Law Conference (2014)
- “Shared Use Facilities,” CACM Webinar (2014)
- “Unique Funding Options for Homeowners Associations,” CAI-OC Spring Forum (2013)
- “Issues Facing High-Rises,” CACM Law Seminar (2013)
- “Service with Staying Power: Long-Term Contracts Done Right,” CACM Webinar (2012)
- “Construction Contracts,” CAI California Statewide Law Conference (2011)
- “Resolving Neighbor-to-Neighbor Disuptes,” CAI-LA Luncheon (2010)
- “Post-Battin Elections,” CACM Southern California Expo (2009)
- “Going Green,” CACM Law Seminar (2009)
- “Road Map for HOA Survival,” CAI-LA Educational Luncheon (2008)
- “Negotiating Contracts,” CAI – OC Educational Luncheon (2008)
- “Rage, Security and Megan’s Law,” CACM Law Seminar (2006)
Denise can be reached via email at diger@IgerWankel.com.